Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Saving money on college textbooks

New textbooks are a scam in the digital age. I am in the process of buying the textbooks for next semester. So far I have been able to buy them at greatly reduced prices as long as you follow a few rules. First, start looking early. As the semester approaches, the supply of books gets constrained and the prices go up. Next, I have a few great sources for books, one is amazon.com, only the used book sellers however have good prices. That's alright, buy used, if your like most people you're rarely going to open the spine again after your done with it anyway. Also, the purchases you make are covered by amazon's return policy if you are not happy with your items. eBay is another source of nice international editions that are the same in content as the US versions but usually are of reduced quality such as no color, no CD, or soft-cover. Also, don't be afraid to buy from an international supplier as they often have more choices at better prices. I bought my accounting text from India last semester. Sometimes if I can't find what I want at the acceptable price, I will look for a previous edition of the text. Check first with the professor to make sure it will work for their purposes and/or you can work with your fellow classmates to get a copy of the required homework from the new version. There are many other sellers out there that claim to offer cheap textbooks, but I have had excellent experiences with the two mentioned above and I will continue to recommend and use them. Another note, I never buy anymore from the college bookstore unless a custom edition is required, as the prices are simply unacceptable.

Here's what I found so far:


The Effective Executive (Paperback)byPeter F. Drucker (Author) ISBN 9780060833459

A used copy at amazon.com for $0.01 plus $3.99 shipping!

Financial Management: Theory and Practice [IMPORT] (Paperback) 11th Ed. ISBN 9780324422696

A used copy at amazon.com for $22.00 plus $3.99 shipping!

Marketing Management, 13th ed. International Ed. ISBN 9780136009986

A new copy at eBay for $24.99 plus $4.00 shipping from Mumbai.

Retail price on these books from amazon is $285.49, the above total is $58.98 for a savings of $226.51!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Dobbs
This is fantastic information. I am trying to deny the textbook cabel any further profits with their bloated 'value-added' features. Thank you for exposing their lust for profits.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Mike. This is great info.
-Kate